(Most modern health problems that have been linked to sodium are actually caused by the condition of the salt we eat. The typical modern salt product can be compared to refined sugar and refined flour – it used to be a healthful, whole food, but it has now been stripped and processed into a disaster waiting to happen. What began as an essential nutrient is disfigured into a detriment to our health.
Salt has earned a bad reputation in recent years, so it comes as quite a surprise to hear this seasoning is actually necessary for good health. In fact, every cell in the body requires salt to function. Salt is needed for countless functions in the body, including everything from blood sugar regulation to bone density to circulatory health. And because we lose salt constantly during the day through urine and perspiration, it`s important that we replenish it. It’s impossible to try and replace lost sodium with commercial table salt because it is refined and incomplete. Instead, include a high-quality unrefined sea salt in your diet to replenish the sodium, trace minerals and electrolytes your body needs.
Commercial salt is refined by drying at a heat in excess of 1,000 degrees which destroys beneficial substances in salt. This heat also causes chemical distortions that turn salt into sodium chloride, a substance that does no good in the body. Table salt is full of additives, fluoride, anti-caking agents, excessive amounts of potassium iodide and other poisons. Many versions of commercial salt also contain aluminum derivatives, which are known to be highly toxic.
These additives can cause discoloration in salt, so bleaching agents are then used to restore the desirable white color. It`s no wonder refined commercial salt is causing so many health problems.
Unrefined sea salt, naturally harvested and dried in the sun, contains a wealth of trace minerals and electrolytes. Our bodies only need small amounts of these nutrients, but they are absolutely vital for a variety of functions in the body. They are key players in enzyme production as well as immune system, adrenal and thyroid function.
Table salt causes imbalances of fluid throughout the body and puts a great deal of strain on the elimination systems. Unrefined sea salt allows the body to achieve a balance of water both inside and outside cells. With adequate natural sodium and pure water, conditions like gout, muscle cramps, water retention and edema disappear.
Real salt stimulates the production of enzymes and digestive juices which are necessary for the body to utilize nutrients from the foods we eat. This can be especially beneficial for people whose diet consists mainly of cooked foods, since cooking foods destroys enzyme content. Unrefined sea salt can help the body digest these foods properly.
Packaged and processed foods are hidden sources of commercial salt. Avoid these types of foods as much as possible, and be careful to check the labels of the other foods you buy. Even fresh meats are often packaged in broths made with refined salt.
Although unrefined sea salt can be considered a health food, it should still be used with wisdom and moderation. Excess salt is not healthy for anyone, and certain individuals may be more sensitive to sodium than others.
(Natural News) by Elizabeth Walling, citizen journalist
A newborn baby is an alkaline little being. The baby’s body tissue is clean and fresh â€“ the smell of an infant confirms that. As time goes by the cells in the babyâ€™s body become more acid and start to show their age. The tissues, bones and every part of the babyâ€™s body slowly become more acidic, and lose their newborn perfection. The body of an aged and sick person is highly polluted with toxic acid waste, both within the cells, and outside the cells in all organs, tissues, bones and fluids. You can smell them.
The buildup of acid body toxins is a characteristic of ageing: your cells produce waste products, your digestive system produces waste products and the environment leaches toxins into your body. Your health and ageing reflects how completely you are able to get rid of all these toxins, and what level remains in your cells and tissues. The process of ageing starts from the beginning of life, and takes place even if there is no pollution in your food or environment.
Even in a perfect world, the babyâ€™s body still produces waste products that must be eliminated. For example, food, metabolism and the production of energy all produce waste products. If you can keep your skin and other organs, glands, muscles and all other body tissues at the same level of alkalinity they were when you were a child, you will not age. When a woman becomes pregnant, her fetus gets priority in the allocation of her alkaline salts. Particularly while she is sleeping, there can be a rapid reduction in the level of her alkaline minerals, and her blood can become slightly more acid. She can feel awful â€“ this is called morning sickness.
Many other aspects of life add to the toxic load on your body. Stress creates enormous levels of toxins, pollution in all its forms adds to the load, as does smoking, alcohol, tea, coffee, medications, drugs (both recreational and pharmaceutical).Initial signs of body tissue acidity include:
? skin problems such as acne, eczema, psoriasis and hives
? bad breath and a white coated tongue
? anxiety, depression, agitation, panic attacks, dizziness, headaches
? feeling tired, needing excessive sleep, weakness, low energy or hyperactivity
? general aches and pains, muscular and joint pains
? a feeling of nausea and malaise
? premenstrual or menstrual cramping
? loss of libido
? diarrhoea or constipation, heartburn, bloating, strong smelling or dark coloured urine
? rapid or irregular heartbeat, poor circulation and cold hands and feet, shortness of breath
? food and chemical allergiesAdvanced or long-term signs of body tissue acidity include:
? heart and circulatory disease
? poor immunity resulting in fungal and bacterial infections
? arthritis, gout, kidney diseases and stones in the liver or gall bladder
? chronic digestive problems
? eye diseases
? allergies and asthma
? severe mental disturbances, multiple sclerosis, migraines
A proven way of slowing ageing is to reduce the amount of food you eat. If you eat less food the total amount of toxins from your food will be lower as there is less excess food to be processed, stored and eliminated. You can correct body acidity (intra and extra cellular toxic acid waste) by eating a primarily alkaline diet, drinking alkaline water, and by following other alkaline forming life changes such as exercise, deep breathing, relaxation, meditation, and having an accepting, playful, thankful and positive attitude to life.
MEASURING YOUR BODY ACIDITY (PH)
It is difficult to measure the pH of most body tissues without taking a biopsy. If you look at a piece of aged, acid tissue under a microscope, you will see clumps of toxic fat, un-discarded metabolic wastes, brown pigments called lipofuscin, streaks of fibre and other degeneration. Ideally, your urine and saliva should have a pH of 6.4. Their pH can vary by the hour, depending on what you have just eaten, your general level of health, and previous buildups of acidity.
The pH of your urine, saliva and blood are not a good indicator of the acidity of your bodyâ€™s tissues and their cells. pH (potential hydrogen) is a measure of acidity or alkalinity. Your body tissues, and in particular your blood, require a precise pH level for good health. If your blood varies even slightly from its normal pH level, you will rapidly become ill. Long-term acidity will result in a variety of degenerative diseases or even death.
It is necessary to eat at least some acid-forming foods; in any case, it is virtually impossible to avoid all of them. The point to bear in mind is the net effect of your diet and lifestyle. If you live a busy, stressed life in a polluted city in a warm to hot climate, then a strongly alkaline-forming diet is essential to combat all these acid effects. If you eat a very acid food, you can counter its effect by eating a strongly alkaline food. For example, if you have some beef, cheese, eggs or refined bread, the acid can be neutralized with fresh vegetables.
You donâ€™t necessarily have to eat the acid or alkaline foods together in the same meal. You can offset an acid meal hours later, after it has been digested, with a melon. If a meal consists of 10% concentrated protein and 90% vegetables, then overall it will be neutral to slightly alkaline. The most alkaline-forming food is enzyme rich and in its natural state. It is fresh, organic, raw, wild and ripe.
Conversely, your food will be more acid-forming if it is:
? cooked (especially fried or deep-fried). Burned or browned food is highly acid-forming, especially toasted crispy cheese
? preserved, canned, smoked or dried
? grown with chemicals (pesticides, herbicides, chemical fertilizers)
? old, rather than fresh
? refined or finely milled, with husks, kernels or other nutritious parts removed e.g. white flour and bread, pasta, biscuits, cakes and pastries etc
? unripe, especially if it was unripe when it was picked
? contains manufactured chemicals such as preservatives, stabilizers, flavours enhancers, colours or emulsifiers
ACID / ALKALINE FORMING FOODS
- Raw, Fresh, Wild/Organic, Ripe picked.
The most alkalizing are lemons and melons, followed by dates, figs, limes, mangoes and pawpaw/papaya. The only acid-forming fruits are tomatoes, pomegranates, cranberries, plums and prunes.
- Slow-squeezed fresh fruit, vegetable and herb juices. Commercially produced bottled juices bought in the supermarket are acid-forming.
- Raw vegetables (except potato), seaweeds. The best are asparagus, parsley, all kinds of seaweed and watercress. Potatoes are acid-forming, but much less so when eaten with their skins.
- Fresh herbs
- Raw fruit
- Beans, grains and seed- sprouted. Dried beans are mildly acid forming, but after they are sprouted, they are mildly alkaline-forming. Fresh beans and peas are alkaline- forming, especially if they are green.
- Dried herbs, herbal teas
- Lightly cooked vegetables
- Raw nuts. Almonds are slightly alkaline-forming, but all other nuts are acid-forming. Roasting them makes them more acid, and harder to digest. Soaking nuts for a few hours makes them more alkaline-forming
- Fresh spices -Most spices (especially ginger) are slightly alkaline-forming
- the fresher they are the better.
- Honey, natural fruit sugars
- Natural sugars, such as brown rice syrup, honey and dried sugar cane juice are slightly alkaline-forming. Any form of processing makes them acid-forming.
- Vegetable oils. Vegetable oils are all neutral, with olive oil being slightly alkaline-forming. Fresh cold pressed seed oils that have never been heated are slightly alkaline.
- Soybean products- soy milk, tofu, soy cheese. The fermented soy products miso and tamari are alkaline- forming, but soy sauce is acid.
- Boiled beans
- Roasted nuts
- Apple cider or brown rice vinegar is slightly alkaline-forming and is a good digestive aid.
- Whole grains, raw seeds, brown rice
- Grains and seeds are acid forming, with the exception of amaranth, millet and quinoa, which are neutral. When they are sprouted, they all become alkaline-forming. Bleached, refined white flours, and fluffy short grain white rice are extremely acid forming. Arrowroot flour is a good alkaline-forming substitute for other flours and thickeners.
- Wholegrain breads, whole cereals, heavy pasta
- Fish and shellfish. All meat fish and poultry is very acid forming. Of these, fish and shellfish are the least acid, followed by organic or wild birds and small animals.
- Butter, cheese, cream, milk, eggs
- Fine wine, hand made beers
- Tea, coffee
- Supermarket bottled fruit juices â€“ reconstituted
- Refined breads, cakes, biscuits, white rice, light pasta, potato
- all grains in the form of breads, cereals and pastas are very acid-forming. Wheat is the worst. If the grains have been sprouted before cooking, or are whole and unrefined, this reduces their acidity.
- Salt (refined), white vinegar, tomato sauce, supermarket mayonnaise
- White household vinegar is strongly acid-forming and should be avoided.
- Red meat
- White sugar, artificial sweeteners, drugs, cheap alcoholic drinks. White table sugar is very acid, a poison if taken in quantity. Artificial sweeteners are much worse â€“ stay away from them! The most acid alcoholic drinks are the cheap, strong, mass produced spirits, beers and wines. Fine wines, beers and brews hand made with organic ingredients are better, but still very acid-forming.
- Soft drinks, both sugared and diet.
- Sports drinks
- Caffeinated or carbonated soft drinks (sodas) are the worst of all. They contain sugars or artificial sweeteners in concentration, phosphoric acid and a variety of other toxic chemicals. They leave a complex acid waste after being â€˜digestedâ€™, and rob your body of oxygen. A typical glass of cola has a highly acid pH of 2.5.
-Cooked, unripe, sweetened, preserved, canned, frozen, smoked, dried.
-Grown with, or contains any kind of manufactured chemicals colours, flavours, preservatives etc
-Old, Refined, Burned, Deep-fried, Browned
Your mental state and emotions have an important effect on your bodyâ€™s acidity or alkalinity. You are an electrochemical, energy based being. Stress and strong, particularly negative, emotions increase your bodyâ€™s acidity, and the acidity of your urine. A physical trauma or injury or an accident are very acid producing, as are emotional loss, conflict and excessive burdens.
Mental stress can be more damaging than physical stress, because there is no rest from it. The ongoing stress creates severe body acidity, which makes you feel even worse, and further adds to the stress. It is a vicious cycle which can be broken by rest, meditation, an alkaline diet, and drinking alkaline water.
If you live in a cold climate, you need more warming, yang, acid foods, according to the Taoists. In contrast, if you live in a hot climate take special care to eat an alkaline diet. The same applies to the foods you eat in winter and summer, especially if there is a wide variation in temperature.
Eating light salads and dates on a hot day is a good idea. Most fresh fruits and vegetables, and sprouted beans and grains are yin, cooling and alkaline-forming. Strong sunlight is acid-forming, and you should take care to avoid excessive exposure. Living or working in a central city is very acid-forming, mainly because of the vehicle exhaust, noise and electrical pollution. Tobacco products are acid-forming, as are virtually all prescription drugs and over the counter medicines. Smoking or exposure to a smoky atmosphere robs your body of oxygen, lowering its pH.
These factors add to the toxic acid-forming load that decreases our energy, ages our bodies, and eventually causes a range of degenerative diseases. Getting obsessively serious about following the rules is the worst thing you can do. Relax and enjoy your life. If you make time for your health, you will gain many additional youthful years.
If you have no time to spare, your ill health will take that time.
The FRIENDLY BACTERIA in Juice Plus+ Complete are the Lactobacilli. They improve the balance of Micro flora in the intestine and they act as a protective barrier to prevent absorption of toxic compounds. They produce Vitamins, Immune â€“ Enhancing compounds and Natural Antibiotic substances called Bacteriocins, which prevent the overgrowth of Yeasts and Pathogenic Bacteria. They also produce Lactic Acid, which lowers the pH of the Colon and helps Prevent Cancer.